About the Grantsburg Public Library
The mission of the Grantsburg Public Library, Mary Ann Erickson Memorial, is to provide a broad range of information resources to the community. We offer a defined program of information, educational, recreational and cultural enrichment opportunities,including those available through the Internet.
Our ServicesThe library has seven computer terminals for public use and a wireless signal throughout the facility. An attractive children's area welcomes young patrons. A varied selection of fiction and nonfiction is available to adults and young adults alike. The library also offers a diverse selection of DVDs and VHS tapes for adults and children. For the book lovers on the go, the library carries a wide-range of books on CD. Patrons can also use the library facilities to research family history and historical events in the History Room. The History Room is staffed by volunteers, call ahead to make an appointment.
History of the Grantsburg LibraryThe Grantsburg Public Library, founded in 1947 by the Grantsburg Woman’s Club, opened its doors to the public on Saturday, November 22, 1947 in space donated by Burnett Larson in Larson’s Supply Store. Members of the community donated books.
In 1950 the library was moved to the Francis Freeman building on Oak Street, where, for 27 years, Francis stoked the fires, paid for snow removal and charged minimal rent for the use of the library space.
With the relocation of the village offices and the library to the community building in 1978, a municipal library was established by a resolution passed by the village board.
When the Grantsburg School District built a new middle school, the library and village offices moved into the newly renovated old junior high building. The new library was dedicated on October 22, 2000.